Thursday, March 8, 2007

Day 4, Some Thoughts on Prayer

peaceifwepray@gmail.com

Many people have confided in me that they don't pray very often because they do not really know how, or they just don't feel comfortable with prayer. I am no expert, but I would like to share my philosophy on prayer with you today.

I know many people are frightened by the concept of prayer. Prayer seems so foreign and formal. It doesn't have to be though.

There are many formal and written prayers that we can read and use in various situations. Written prayers help us to get the conversation going, but you don't have to use these prayers exclusively. Nor do you have to be some guru capable of profound thought and verbage. You don't have to pray for long periods of time either.

Prayer can be as simple as a "conversation" with God. It does help, however, to find a semi-quiet moment so that you can truly focus on the conversation, open your heart and mind, and "listen." Otherwise,the conversation may be a bit one-sided. The more you pray, the easier prayer will become and the better you will become at listening.

This is what I taught my Children (based on an issue of "Clubhouse JR.," from Focus on the Family,last March I believe?):

P for Praise -- Worship God for who He is and give thanks for all He has done. Pslam 135:1-3

R for Repent -- Admit to God what you have done wrong and ask for forgiveness. Acts 3:19

A for Ask -- Tell God your needs and pray for the needs of others. Matthew 7:7-8

Y for Yield -- Let God know that you will trust Him and obey His commands. James 4:7-8

Prayer can be any combination of the above.

For me prayer is just an intergral part of my day. For example, I saw a man at Home Depot this afternoon, while waiting in the checkout line. He looked like he was in was 60's -- but that's not really relevant. He stood slightly stooped, as if his back was in pain, and he was moving very slowly. He looked as if he was in a lot of pain -- maybe due to arthritis. Without thinking, I thought: "God please Bless this man. Ease his pain, losen his joints, and heal him so that he can do the things he needs and wants to do free of pain." And that was a prayer.

Sometimes, we may not feel worthy of prayer. At those times, we probably need to "Ask": that is search our hearts for things that we may have done, thought, or said that make us feel less than worthy of God's love, attention and time. Then ask for His forgiveness and His grace to refrain from doing those things again.

Another thing that can get in the way of prayer is intellect. It's just hard for people who think a lot to slow down, focus, and pray. It's just "not logical" to them. I consider myself a very smart person and I pray, but I know a lot of smart people who just don't feel comfortable with the whole concept of prayer. For those smart people who feel uncomfortable with the concept of prayer, I would start by asking for God's help and grace to open their hearts and minds to His voice. Maybe use some words like the following:

"Dear God. Here I am. The concept of prayers is new and foreign to me. Help me sit quietly for a few moments and allow the Holy Spirit to awaken in me (if you have been baptized) -- or send the Holy Spirit down* upon me -- that I may feel the peace of Your presence and learn how to speak with You."

[*Jesus said to his disciples: "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father and He will give you another Advocate to be with you always."
Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Those who do not love me do not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine butthat of the Father who sent me.
I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you." John 14:15-16, 23b-26]


And remember: Smart people usually try something before they pass judgement on it.

The bottom line is: don't be intimidated by prayer! You are worthy of God's time and attention,and you can make a difference in both your life, and the lives of others, through prayer. I promise!

Jesus said "My grace is enough for you, for in weakness my power reaches perfection."
2 Corinthians 12:9

So let us join our voices together and pray, for Jesus has said "Again I tell you, if two of you join your voices on earth to pray for anything whatever, it shall be granted you by my Father in heaven. Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in their midst."
Matthew 18:19-20

May God Bless Us One and All, but especially those are just beginning to embark on their prayer journey. Amen.